The Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross was opened for services in 1899 in a small frame building on the site of the present church. We became a parish in 1899. In 1903 a larger frame structure was built which served the parish until the existing stone church was completed in 1953. A portion of the the earlier church remains in use as our chapel.
The Gothic architecture features a stone exterior of varying colors which was cut and laid at the site by local masons. The floor of the narthex and the aisle of the nave is surfaced with Vermont slate. A large wooden angel, carved from an old walnut tree by a church member, hangs above the crossing area. Structural wood arches support the slate roof and aged oak woodwork makes up the altar, pulpit, pews, chancel furniture and wainscotting.
There are very finely detailed stain glass windows which were made and installed by The Wilet Stained Glass Studios in 1953. Each was produced by hand and took about a year to complete.
The Parish Hall and Church School wing were added in 1967. These rooms are used for many church functions and have served as community meeting space over the years for organizations such as Red Cross, AA, NA, Children’s Theater Festival and Rotary.
Holy Cross is part of the Diocese of Western North Carolina. The Diocese is comprised of 64 parishes. The diocesan cathedral is The Cathedral of All Souls in Asheville where our Bishop, the Right Reverend Bishop Porter Taylor is seated.